Sunday, May 5, 2019

a buzzy bizzy kid

I'm trying to finish up some long time works in progress this year so I've set a goal to not start something new till I've finished up something old.  
I made this Bizzy Kid quilt top at least 4 years ago.  It's been hanging in the closet ever since.  My grandchildren are growing and we're needing more than baby quilts now so it was time to finish this up.

The pattern is by Cluck Cluck Sew and still available in print or pdf form.  The solids are a mix of Kona and Moda.  The print fabrics are from the Bug a Boo line by Adorn It.  Hard to find now but aren't these bugs cute?   I made this as a new quilter and didn't really understand fussy cutting.  I would cut these guys differently now but it still works. 

I've learned a lot about pressing over the years, too.  I spend about 2 hours removing loose threads and re-pressing seams before quilting this.

The quilting is free motion jagged lines.  I think it looks like how bugs fly around, zipping here, zipping there.

Quilter's Dream wool batting  and a stripped single-fold binding that matches the backing.

Well, most of the backing.  I added a few columns of blocks for more width.  This quilt finishes at 48" x 60"!  A perfect size for Bizzy Kids!

We were looking for a cool bug in the woods but instead found this guy playing peek-a-boo! 

I hope you're finding fun things to keep bizzy with this week.  Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen. It's a good idea to finish up one quilt before moving on to new projects. This one makes a fun finish. I really like that jagged quilting pattern. It suits this buggy quilt so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't it feel great to be finishing things?! I really dislike it when the pile of tops is more than two! What a fun finish - something that you can reflect upon how you've grown as a quilter (fussy-cutting, and pressing), and is useful for a grandie. By the way, once upon a time, I had that backing fabric in my stash too! Love the wooded area where you photographed this quilt. Is that a SNAKE I see? I prefer focusing on the purple flowers, thank you. :-) I need to finish a quilt just as you have. It's due for a chapter challenge on Monday, and I still have quilting and binding to do! Guess I'll work on that this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete