Monday, September 11, 2017

two tangos

In January I decided 2017 would be a "sew my stash" year.  I've been quilting and growing my stash for 3 years and it was time to finally cut up some hoarded bundles and play with them.  With a new grand baby due before the 4th of July I decided I'd make each grandchild their own boat quilt.  It was January...I had plenty of time!

So, I untied several Cotton & Steel bundles I purchased with a gift certificate I won while participating in the Wallflowers QAL hosted by Bloomerie Fabrics, and started cutting.  I chose the Tango pattern by Cluck Cluck Sew.  Allison's patterns are easy to follow - you can count on a successful finish.

I just matched fabrics and made blocks.  These were all about playing with fabric.  Cotton and Steel fabrics really do all go together.  You just can't miss.

I made 84 blocks and then divided them into two piles.  42 for one quilt that leans green/blue/teal/turquoise...

...and 42 for one quilt that leans pink.  
I finished all the blocks and put the quilt tops together during one long January weekend.
Then I hung them neatly in a closet with several other quilt tops that need quilting.

In June I decided remembered I needed to get back to them.  
I chose Cotton & Steel double gauze for the backings.  It quilted beautifully and is of course super soft.  Bloomerie still has some available here.

I used the thin Quilter's Dream request loft for these summer quilts.  You can't tell here but the pink quilt is quilted with straight lines on the diagonal.  It completely distorted the quilt and this is the first time I ever blocked a quilt.  (Sorry, no photos.)  It's a lot better now but still not perfect.  Oh well, my granddaughter doesn't care.

Here's how they look in use!

This little guy really loves an evening cruise!

Thanks for stopping by.

Linking up with: