Monday, June 30, 2014

more block playing

I been playing with blocks again and have some new ones to share with you.

 Here are the next three months (April, May, and June) of the Aurifil Block of the Month club.  

That makes six months completed.  No, I haven't won any thread yet!

These are "economy" blocks I've started making with red, white, and blue scraps.  I have joined the Ann Arbor Modern Quilt Guild and they donate quilts to veterans made with these.  I'll be keeping my red, white, and blue scraps separate to make these up a few at a time.

Here are some classic "churn dash" blocks I made as part of a quilt along with Amy Smart.  She has just published a book, "Fabulously Fast Quilts."  I'm enjoying it!

Finally, this is a "nested churn dash" block that was designed by Quilt Jane.  She has a contest going on that I'm not involved in.  I'm planning to use this on the back of the quilt I make with the blocks just above.

We are half way through 2014 now.  Just six more months till Christmas!

Tuesday, June 17, 2014


I made this quilt for one of this year's amazing graduates.  She's pretty much one of my favorite people on the planet and she's off to U of M in the fall.  I wanted to make something original for her so I created my own pattern for the (almost) accurate Michigan Block M.  For the background I chose a fabric from the Glimma line that I think looks like the net found in almost every sport the Wolverines play.

Here's a close up of my maize and blue "Block M" block.  This was my first attempt at creating my own pattern. (The color in the photo is off here.  I have so much to learn regarding picture taking and editing.)

The back is mostly fleece with a stripe of maize and another M.  I think I like it better than the front.  The quilting is a pretty close meandering loop.  I can't believe I missed taking a picture of the binding.  It's also from the Glimma line.

Congratulations to all this year's amazing graduates!

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

picnic time

This is the Basket Case pattern from Cluck Cluck Sew.  I started this quilt in January.  I had to refer to the pattern for every single block.  For some reason my brain just wasn't able to sort it out.  In the end it all worked though.  If there's a mistake in all the "weaving" I can't see it.

I quilted it with a free-motion loop.  When I took it outside to photograph I discovered this.  Not sure why it only happened with one loop or what went wrong but it doesn't matter.  It was easily fixed.  (Yes, I need more practice with loops.)

The fabrics are all from the DS line at JoAnn's.  (The wine was from a marathon in France - but I'll save that story for another post!)

The back is just two big pieces from the front with a row made from the scraps.  It went together in no time.

A few more pictures because I was having fun playing with my camera. 

Plus, picnics are more fun in the shade!

I'm so happy with how this quilt finished up.  I guess kinda like a marathon - if you keep plugging along the end is so worth it!