Friday, December 1, 2017

summer sampler 2017

My Summer Sampler 2017 quilt is finally finished!
I enjoyed last year's quilt along along so much I signed up again this year.  First up was choosing our fabrics.  


I won this purple bundle in the Dog Gone Cute QAL.  It matched perfectly with the 4+ yard cut of Anna Maria Horner I grabbed on sale awhile ago.  All I needed was a background.  Originally I choose a light gray.  I looked at it for about a week and it just wasn't singing to me.  At the time I was working on a baby quilt and a piece of twinkling star fabric happened to fall on the purple bundle.  BINGO!  


I realized early that photographing the blocks each week would be a challenge.  I tried to capture each block with a bloom or something that would show the season progressing.  Capturing the purples to show as they do in real life while showing the twinkling star background was beyond my photographing ability. 
Still, some pretty pictures!  

We finished all the stars in September then got the final instructions for the filler blocks and putting it all together.

I think I spent at least three weeks on these fillers.  I considered counting up how many total pieces were in this quilt.  Then I decided probably better if I didn't know!

Finally it was time to put this puzzle together.  This was definitely the most involved quilt I've ever made.  It's also the most photographed.  I've taken it out 3 times trying to capture it and I just can't.  

Here's a close up of the twinkle star background.  So much prettier in real life.

It was not too hard to line up the print when sewing this backing together.

I used Warm and White batting and quilted this with a simple stipple.  
I used Aurifil 2021 for both the piecing (50wt) and quilting (40wt).

A frosty morning finish!

The IG hashtag is pretty huge but you can see some of the other finishes here.
You can buy the pattern here.

I will be linking up with:

Thanks so much for stopping by.

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely finish! pretty color choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! on your newly completed quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love the color fades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. It was fun to have so many colors in the bundle to play with.

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! The colors are so smooth together, and I love all of your progress photos, too! Congrats on a fab finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the different shades of purple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison. Winning the bundle was key here. I never would have been able to coordinate all the different shades of purple on my own.

      Delete
  6. That's a very pretty quilt. I like how you finally decided on the background. Sometimes serendipity just happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolores. Yes, this background was just meant to be.

      Delete
  7. Wow, what a gorgeous quilt! Love that bundle you won from Lorna. I sure CAN see the twinkle star background print in that one photo especially--I'll have to watch out for it, as I have a mad love for all things starry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandra. It's from the Whisper Palette by Lizzy House and still available several places.

      Delete
  8. Gosh, this is so pretty, Karen! I've never made a purple/violet/orchid quilt, but this color combo is really appealing. And just think you're already ahead of the game for the future, now that the 2018 Pantone color of the year has been announced - Ultra Violet. I'll be interested to see what color solid each fabric company announces as theirs that best fills-the-bill. You already have a gorgeous violet quilt to show off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a finish! The end product is stunning. It is amazing what solids can do to a quilt pattern. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina. I agree that solids give amazing results. I find now that when I buy prints I'm often wanting them to read as solids. Thanks for stopping by and hanging out for a bit. Happy New Year!

      Delete