Monday, November 6, 2017

a pillow

A big, scrappy pillow!
THE Amanda Jean Nyberg came to town to teach and share her quilts from No Scrap Left Behind.  I was able to attend the trunk show on Friday evening and an all-day class on Saturday with other members of our guild.  For the class, everyone was able to choose any quilt in the book and Amanda wandered the room helping, suggesting, and cheering us on.  She is an absolute delight and if you get the chance to meet her you should.

I spent the week before the class devouring the book and deciding which quilt I would work on.  I was all set until the trunk show when she unfolded her Mini Nines quilt.  I quickly changed my plan and re-sorted my scrap box in preparation for the next day.

I made all my mini 9-patches with bright solids and bordered half with colorful prints and half with a white on white solid. 
I had a 24" feather pillow form packed away so I made 49 mini 9's and am pleased to have a finished project in one week!  

For the back I chose this canvas Cotton and Steel print that was in my stash.  I love the dark contrast with the brights on the front.

My only purchase for this project was an invisible zipper.  I really resisted heading to JoAnn's on a Saturday afternoon but it had to be done.  I really wanted the zipper in the seam so when people use this I can tell them to "use the dark side" and there won't be a zipper in their way.
I must admit I haven't installed an invisible zipper since making my wedding dress.  While not really invisible, this navy one does just kinda disappear.  Really easy to do, too.

Super fun project and super fun memories of a super fun day!

Of course I'll be linking up this finish with CRAZY MOM QUILTS!
I'll also be linking this sewcial fun project with Let's Bee Social.

Go buy the book and start sewing your scraps!

15 comments:

  1. What a super fun fast finish! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige. Not super fast but the timing was right for me to commit to a finish! This is only my second pillow and I'm wondering why. There will be more in my near future.

      Delete
  2. As soon as you showed the pillow, I recognized it as an Amanda Jean design! Your pillow turned out so adorable, though I know it still took lots of time to make. I was in Amanda Jean's workshop when she was here October 2, and have made only two Ring Me blocks. I'm afraid mine will be a long, ongoing project to use solid scraps. Well, I sure love what you made, and the invisible zipper is the best. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much LInda. (I saw you in Amanda's post!) I have plans for longer projects from the book but have several projects I MUST finish before starting another big one. The timing was right for a pillow and I'm loving it!

      Delete
  3. What a fun pillow! I love the little nine patches. Adorable. I've never done a zipper in the seam, usually its a hidden zipper in the back. Your's turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. The nine-patch blocks finish at 1.5" square. Tiny is fun...and cute! I wanted the zipper in the seam because then I wouldn't have to try and match the print above and below it. It was super easy to install. I'll do it this way from now on.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely pillow! Those tiny nine patches make a really interesting front and the backing fits well. Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie. I've been visiting your website - beautiful work and amazing photography of it. It's a great place to visit with my morning coffee. Nice work!

      Delete
  5. Certainly looks like fabric fun. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So totally cute! What a fun way to remember the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THE AmandaJean Nyberg is such a good tutorial writer that I imagine she must be a good teacher. Certainly she knows how to explain what she wants you to understand. As for your mini-9s pillow cover, it looks fantastic. What a great souvenir for your weekend with THE AmandaJean. :)

    ReplyDelete