Friday, May 19, 2017

whisper

2017 is proving to be quite a prolific year!  Today I'm sharing the first of two baby quilts I gifted at a double baby shower last week.  Two sisters due within 6 weeks of each other! 


Both mamas are waiting to be surprised which is a challenge for a quilt maker.  There are so many cute fabric lines for babies but they are all so gender specific.  Enter Lizzy House's Whisper Palette, five neutrals from my stash, and a timeless hour-glass block.

I purchased a bundle from Lady Belle Fabrics.  (She was hosting an extremely generous giveaway on Red Pepper Quits blog and I wanted to help support her.)  There are 21 prints in the collection and pairing each with a neutral gave me 42 blocks.  That made deciding how big to make this easy - 7 rows of 6 blocks.

A few close up shots to zoom in on the sweet prints.  This fabric is so soft and I wonder if it's because the prints are so calm.  


I used the super thin Request loft cotton batting from Quilter's Dream and my walking foot to quilt along each of the seam lines:  vertically, horizontally, and diagonally.  I like the "star" it made at each point.




The back and binding are both prints from the collection.  How cute are these mice on bikes?  Daddy is quite a bike rider so this was an easy pick!


Neutrals, grays, and randomly placed classic blocks for one sister.  Check back next week to see how I changed it up for the other!

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts and Sew Fresh Quilts


22 comments:

  1. I love those soft, light colors. Great pattern for a baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kat. And thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Great choices of fabrics (and pattern) for a gender neutral baby quilt! The mice on bikes are so cute! Looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige. I spent a lot of time thinking about how to use this bundle. I was trying hard to add a little color to the mix but it kept turning it into "girl" or "boy" quilt. I'm loving the simplicity of the neutrals. Once again, less is more!

      Delete
  3. This sweet quilt is certainly suitable for any new baby and the palette will go with any nursery decor. Love the soft look and the quilting is superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Lorna. I'm always quilting things to death. It was hard to stop here but I'm glad I did. This quilt is so light and airy, especially with the super thin batting. Funny, I thought the diagonal lines would intersect at the same points where the vertical and horizontal lines did. They don't and I love the little stars they made instead. Math wins!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Alison. It was well received and I hope will be well loved.

      Delete
  5. This is lovely - beautiful use of lovely soft colours and fun prints - lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. This lucky, blessed baby is due in August. I can't wait to meet it!

      Delete
  6. So lovely! And a good reminder on how great simple fabrics and simple patterns can be sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and yes, sometimes, less is more!

      Delete
  7. Neat quilts Karen! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Vera. These quilts are for babies of very close friends. I'm thinking puppy pillows may be in order soon!

      Delete
  8. What beautiful quilts! I'm sure the babies will love them. I just had a quilt done with Request batting, and it is super soft. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. Yes, the request loft is SO soft yet gives a lovely "poof" when quilted. I can't figure it out but I'm glad Quilter's Dream did!

      Delete
  9. Hi Karen,
    I love the quilt! So funny - my niece is due in September and they are not finding out the gender either. I am doing two gray quilts - the first one I just posted today in a gray polka dot. Such cute fabric! ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Roseanne. Yes, I'm finding that gender-neutral gray is the new norm. I'm grateful to Lizzy House who anticipated it and created these darling prints for us to play with!

      Delete
  10. Soft and lovely. Isn't is strange how baby births come in multiples? I am scrambling to make my standard gift of burp cloths for FIVE births of baby girls within May! Two were a pair of twins but the others were all unrelated. I am sure using up my stash of feminine flannel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Five girls in May tops the SEVEN babies due in 2017 to my girls and their friends! Life is good!

      Delete
  11. Just jumping over from the second quilt. This one is also great. Love the color palette. Thanks for the Inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Thanks for stopping by to check this one out, too!

      Delete