Friday, October 13, 2017

zebra stripes

I had so much success with my giraffe quilt that I decided to make one with a zebra theme.  I started by making a few Zany Zebra blocks.  Unfortunately, mine weren't nearly as cute as Lorna's so I went another route.
Simple and modern!

I paired a wavy black and white stripe from the Follie collection by Lotta Jansdotter and a bold solid to make a row of 9 blocks. Then I added a top and bottom and started quilting.  

I used Quilter's Dream wool for the poof factor and this organic grid to create some fun texture.

For the binding I wanted the stripes to wrap around the quilt so I had to cut my strips with the length of grain.  No stretch or give in the fabric created some new challenges for me. These edges don't lie completely flat.  Hopefully the baby won't mind! 😜
Soft cozy flannel zebras for the backing!

Here's to fun tummy time!




Linking up with Finish it up Friday and Let's Bee Social

16 comments:

  1. That is so cute, modern and cozy all wrapped up in one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the quilting is fantastic! Nice design too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige. I love how the wool batting works here.

      Delete
  3. This is such a wonderful baby quilt for tummy time with the wonderful textures you've made with the quilting and the black and white prints with colors which babies love to look at. It's perfect with the zebra backing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those modern improv blocks for the front. I'm sorry you were disappointed with your ZebraZ, but it turns out to be a happy accident! Love the quilting - looks like you were having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorna. I've had such success with so many of your other patterns but for some reason it just wasn't working for me this time. Maybe I was just too tired that night. This quilt just wanted to be something else - and I let it!

      Delete
  5. Hi Karen,
    Wow! Beautiful modern quilt, and that backing is just PERFECT. So is the binding. WOWEE on the quilting too. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I echo all the above comments! I love it and I think new modern mamas will love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I hopped over from Lorna's house
    This is a really cute quilt. Superb fabric choices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rosemary. Those zebras on the back are a super cozy flannel. I love mixing fabrics in baby quilts.

      Delete