Friday, January 8, 2016

to market

Like many, I’ve been reflecting on my 2015 finishes.  Two highlights, in no particular order, are participating in my first blog hop and having one of my quilts go to Quilt Market.  It occurred to me that I had not yet posted about my quilt going to market - so here we go…

Fellow Ann Arbor Modern Quilt Guild member and owner of Pink Castle Fabrics, Brenda Ratliff, designed her own fabric collection, Pie Making Day, for RJR Fabrics.  It was very exciting each month at our meetings to hear about the process and see the initial runs.  We were offered the opportunity to make something for her booth.  We could only use fabric from the collection and RJR's Cotton Supreme solids.  When the fabric arrived time was running short so I chose a pattern from Amy Smart’s "Fabulously Fast Quilts"I’d been eyeing the Modern Buzz Saw pattern for awhile and felt it was perfect for showing off the whole collection. 

I used all 24 prints with Wimbledon & Cove for background colors.  

 I had extra fabric from my bundle so I used it for a border. 


This was the first time I played with selvages.  It took a few tries but I love that I got the collection and designer’s name, and even the date, in there!


On the back I used the last bits of fabric to make the blades for a version of the Sawtooth Stripe quilt from Denyse Schmidt’s book "Modern Quits Traditional Inspiration".  I love that this is a two sided quilt!
Keeping with the saw blade theme I quilted this with all-over jagged lines.

Can you spot my quilt in this photo of Brenda’s award winning booth?  I still can’t believe my quilt went to market!
Equally exciting is that Amy Smart was there to see it and she shared it with all her followers on Instagram and on her blog!  (Amy's post is excellent.  If you are interested in learning more about Quilt Market I encourage you to check it out.)

This quilt is one I'm keeping.  It fits perfectly in the bunk room at our camp!

Thanks to Brenda for this wonderful opportunity.  A highlight of 2015!


Completing this post is a finish so I'll be linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations Karen! This is a beautiful quilt. I love the pattern that you chose and the solids to go with those luscious prints. Even the backing is amazing! You certainly have had a fabulous year.... And I am so looking forward to what you create in 2016. Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorna. From elephants to dogs...it's been so fun participating in all the fun! Thanks for your encouragement.

      Delete
  2. So pretty. What a cool thing to have a quilt showcased in a designer's booth. And it looks great on that bunk bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it was exciting to see it at market. I can't believe I never posted about it till now.

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen, Haven't chirped in lately. Love this quilt and that you decided to put it in your bunk room!! The colors are beautiful and the saw tooth look is so fun. The saws on the back are perfect. I'm going to check out the blog to see your quilt on the display rack. Good job my friend!! Don't know where you find the time for all that you do!! J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen, Haven't chirped in lately. Love this quilt and that you decided to put it in your bunk room!! The colors are beautiful and the saw tooth look is so fun. The saws on the back are perfect. I'm going to check out the blog to see your quilt on the display rack. Good job my friend!! Don't know where you find the time for all that you do!! J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! A beautiful quilt that certainly deserves all the publicity! I love the back, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting, congratulations!! It's a beautiful quilt you have made, and the quilting design is just perfect. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is wonderful, congratulations and Happy New Year Karen!

    ReplyDelete