Friday, January 29, 2016

little things

Little strips, little squares, little blocks, little quilt…
This is the most decadent quilt I’ve made to date.  I used this tutorial from Red Pepper Quilts to make 48 different 16-patch checkerboard blocks.  The repetitiveness of piecing these blocks was very therapeutic:  cut, sew, press, repeat.  Each of those 768 squares finish at 1.5".

I’ve been collecting fat 8ths and fat 16ths of Liberty of London Tana Lawn for awhile now and finally had enough variety (54 different prints) to give this a try.  I used my favorite fabric, Peppered Cotton, for the solid.  I just love the way the charcoal color makes the Liberty pop.

I quilted this on my Janome with a simple cross-hatch through all the solid squares.  I used the thinnest (request loft) Quilter’s Dream cotton batting.  Even with the thin batting there is an amazingly beautiful poof to this that I just couldn’t capture in a photo. 

The binding is super luscious voile.  It’s so soft I wanted to make it bigger and used this great tutorial to help me sort out the math to do that.
The back is a single piece of classic D’Anjo Liberty that I splurged on when Duckadilly had their Black Friday sale.

I made this ultra luxurious quilt in anticipation of our first grandchild who was due in February.  She arrived six weeks earlier than anticipated and I have a few more quick little projects to share.


First, our baby girl (BG) is teeny tiny but mighty and healthy and we are blessed.  The sweet little hat she’s wearing was donated to the Special Care Nursery where she spent her first 10 days.  If you make things to donate to hospitals THANK YOU!  I now know first hand how gratefully they are received. 

I used this tutorial from Cut to Pieces to make a simple crib sheet.  More of these are in the works!

Every baby needs a few sweet burp cloths.  No tutorial needed here.  Just measured, pressed and sewed. 

Finally, I used this simple tutorial from Cluck Cluck Sew to make a car seat canopy. The measurements Allison provides fit a Chicco infant car seat perfectly - just in case you ever need to know!  The fabrics are organic cottons from Cloud 9 I picked up at Joann’s over a year ago.  It’s good to have some yardage in your stash for when you need to make something quick!

Linking all these little finishes up with Crazy Mom QuiltsThen I'm off for some baby cuddle time!

20 comments:

  1. Love your quilt, great background fabric! Congratulations on your new grandchild!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Judy. I love the peppered cotton as much as the Liberty!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Enjoy the precious new bundle. Lovely baby quilt in Liberty of London fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. The Liberty is as lovely to work with as it is to look at!

      Delete
  3. What a lucky baby, she gets so many gorgeous and nice things from her grandma! Glad to hear she is doing well despite her early arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Congratulations Gramma Karen!!! Such a sweet little bundle. I am so happy for you and your family! And for BG. It is obvious she is loved. What a gorgeous Little Liberty quilt. Those fabrics just shine against that grey background. And with that wide binding. I am sure this will be well used as your little granddaughter grows and grows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lorna! She's got an Elephant quilt, a Puppy quilt and now a Liberty quilt - lots of cozy times ahead!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your granddaughter. It looks like she's already basking in a lot of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your granddaughter. It looks like she's already basking in a lot of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your granddaughter. It looks like she's already basking in a lot of love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your granddaughter. It looks like she's already basking in a lot of love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the new grand daughter. I love the new quilt for her x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Karen that quilt is gorgeous!!!! I have a stash of vintage Liberty fabric that I would like to make a quilt with one day. Just like this! I'm waiting for my mum to donate some of her designs to me so that I have enough variety!! What an adorable little girl and lovely things you've made for her. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A Postage Stamp quilt with Vintage Liberty would be amazing!

      Delete
  11. Oh my, that quilt is scrumptious! Someday I will collect a bunch of liberty. Someday......
    Congrats on that beautiful grandbaby!! Enjoy the snuggles
    ~Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. I've been collecting the bits of Liberty for almost 3 years now. A little here, a little there. Acquiring it is half the fun!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on the birth of your wonderful granddaughter! The little quilt is so nice!

    ReplyDelete