Friday, June 12, 2015

a new book and a clutch



When I heard Anna Graham's new book, Handmade Style, had been released I ordered it.  She has been so generous to offer so many outstanding free patterns.  I have made a few including the oh so popular Open Wide Pouch and Cargo Duffel.  The book is full of beautiful photos and patterns for bags, quilts, and even a patchwork bench - for those so inclined.  


I realized I needed to increase my zipper inventory and placed an order with Zipit.  I'm not sure beautiful is the right word to use with zippers but this order came so sweetly wrapped and very quickly.  I highly recommend this Etsy shop.
Now stocked with zippers in various sizes I decided to start with the Rainbow Clutch. 


I used Botanics fabric by Carolyn Friedlander.  I found a triple stitch on my machine to use for topstitching that I really like.  It didn't work around the zippers, though.  Believe me, I tried a few times!


The extra pocket in the back adds so much. I used 40 wt thread to make these stitches look heavier but I don't think I succeeded.  If you have any suggestions for next time I'd love to hear them.
Now I just need to get some leather scraps for the zipper tabs...or not.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it up Friday.  Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. I love everything Carolyn Friedlander.

      Delete
  2. Perfect clutch Karen, I wish I were more comfortable with zips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I am challenging myself to try new things. I think the zippers themselves are so cute they cover up the imperfections in the stitching. I hope so anyway!

      Delete