Friday, July 11, 2014

mending fences

I've been participating in the Scrap Basket Quilt Along hosted by Crazy Mom Quilts.  When I read about the need for quilts for Margaret's Hope Chest I signed up immediately.  Here's my finished quilt.



Amanda posted an excellent tutorial for a simple rail-fence block.  (Although you could make any pattern quilt you'd like for the donations.)  My scrap basket is not as full as some and I had mostly oranges and grays.  Since they are especially in need of quilts for boys I decided to add some blue.  (We were watching a Detroit Tiger game!)  

I didn't have enough navy so had to add some additional blue.  Out went the Tiger theme but I think they all go together here.  Besides, whoever gets this quilt may not be as big a Tiger fan as those in my house!

I put all the solid blues on the ends so I needed to make a pattern. I started with this:


It wasn't working for me so I  rearranged (only once!) then stuck with it.

I quilted it with my go-to...meandering.

I pieced the back with a few leftovers and a big piece of Kona gray.

 All washed and ready to be mailed.



Feeling blessed to be a blessing. 

Linking up today (for the first time) with Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it up Friday!




 

24 comments:

  1. Great quilt for a great cause! Thanks for sharing your quilt with us. I love your colors - I recognize some fabrics that I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have used a few of those grays in a few of my quilts. They seem to go with everything.

      Delete
  2. Very nice. The colors are just right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your alternative layout. I love to see a peek insight in the process. That will be one lucky recipient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iris. I hesitated in putting that picture in there but I like seeing how people work through things, too. Thanks for you comment.

      Delete
  4. I love your fabric selections! The colours work beautifully together. I only found you through crazy mom quilts so I'm glad you posted there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmajane. I love the online quilting community and all the sharing. I'm glad I linked up, too!

      Delete
  5. Very nice! I liked seeing the different pattern you could have done since you put the solid blues on the ends. I started on a quilt for the Scrap Basket Quilt Along, but 99 blocks is a lot -- and I won't be able to finish by August. One day I will though. Nice work on yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Yes, 99 blocks is a lot. We had a week of bad weather so I had more sewing time than usual. I got the whole top pieced and sewn together very quickly. There will be plenty of need for quilts after August 1st as well. Keep plugging along. Giving back feels good.

      Delete
  6. Your color combination is different, and I really like it. Wonderful that you are donating it - it will help bring hope and comfort, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri. Hope and comfort...perfect words to describe all the Scrapbasket Quilt Along projects.

      Delete
  7. This quilt turned out so nicely! I like how the colors make a pattern. The Aunt Edna gray with circles you used for binding is one of my all time favorite fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie Lee. I've used that print in gray and orange in this quilt and a few others. I like it, too. It goes with everything. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. I love your colors! And the Tigers :)
    It is a beautiful (handsome ?) quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Who's your Tiger? This year I'm going with Nick Castellanos!

      Delete
  9. It is pretty and for very good cause. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours is a bright fun quilt! Great choice of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully done! I love the bands of solid colour that break up the mixed colours - looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love scrappy quilts but have such a hard time making them. My brain just has to put a pattern in there.

      Delete
  12. I love the final arrangement of the blocks -- gives me some ideas about what to do with some unused fabrics in my stash. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to use up that fabric...then you can get more! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete